Friday, June 7, 2013

RECIPE: Rhubarb Vinaigrette Salad


RECIPE: Rhubarb Vinaigrette Salad

Four Ingredient Salad: Lettuce (1 head), Onion (1/2), Rhubarb (2 cups) Vinaigrette (1/4 cup)
Remove leaves from lettuce, wash and trim stems and brown edges if any. Thinly slice onion. Trim ends of rhubarb stalks and boil in 3 C water for 20 minutes to. Remove rhubarb and reduce liquid by ½. Strain into bowl and mix in one to two teaspoons of plain vinegar.  Whisk in 2 tablespoons of oil to emulsify. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired. In large bowl, combine lettuce leaves with onion and dress with rhubarb vinaigrette. Serve with broiled chicken.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you! Going to make up a couple jars to see if I like it. I'm assuming, like most pickles, it takes 3 weeks to mature in flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually only 2 days due to the gentle flavor and delicate nature of rhubarb. Let me know how it tastes....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried the rhubarb pickles last night. They were decidedly not crunchy, but soft, like stewed rhubarb. They were processed slightly longer than 20 mins, as I lost track of time. But I had wondered how they would stay crunchy after cooking that long.

    I'm not fond of licorice/anise but thought I'd try it in this context. I'm still not fond of anise. :))

    So I think they aren't something I'd make again. I'd had high hopes for them, as I can't do the levels of sweeteners needed for any rhubarb dish.

    It was cool to experiment with such a different way of using rhubarb, and I do wish I had liked them better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam,

      I took out the Anise. I think it is too overpowering. Also am working on maintaining the crunch. Will try working with less canning bath time. Stay tuned and thanks for the comment. I too prefer less of a liquorish flavor. The rhubarb is really quite delicate.

      Delete