|Recipe: Jack’s Kale Crostini|
This kale on toast delight is from the recipe box of Jack Algiere of Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture where the kale is in season, the extended season, that is. This seasonal farmers' market sells produce from Stone Barns' own hoop and green houses and meat from the farm's livestock. At Stone Barns Farm in upstate New York, farming is what farming would be like if millionaires built the place. The buildings are originally the dairy and hay barns that made up the Rockefeller estate. Food in situ, food at the market and food in the restaurant where menu features seasonal dishes in multiple courses, is worth a visit. Stone Barns is a non-profit farm and education center. The restaurant, Blue Hill at Stone Barns is located on the farm as well. Both are open to the public.
Kale Crostini - Jack Algiere, Stone Barns, NY
1 lb kale, deribbed
1 t salt, or to taste
¼ to a third C olive oil
¼ C grated Parmigiano cheese
1 lemon, juiced
½ t cumin
1 handful of almonds or pine nuts
1. In a skillet, sauté kale in some of the olive oil, to darken.
2. In a food processor, pulse the garlic, the remainder of your olive oil, anchovies and nuts.
3. Add the sautéed kale to the food processor. Pulse a couple of times to roughly chop.
4. Finally, add the salt, cumin and lemon juice. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Pulse until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
5. Slice your loaf of peasant bread or other crusty bread.
6. Lightly toast the slices of bread in an oven, until golden brown.
7. Spread the kale mixture on the bread and enjoy